29 March 2016

N55 HPFP Failure

Can the HPFP fail on a N55?
  • Yes, my HPFP failed at 38,000 miles. 
What were the symptoms? 
  • Very long cranks, rough idle, engine would randomly surge between 600 - 1800 rpm at idle and low speeds. The latter is particularly scary when pulling into or out of tight parking spots and the car would lurch. 
What did I do?
  • I believed failing HPFP were confined to the N54 and were resolved with the N55, I was wrong. I brought my car into the dealer and they diagnosed my HPFP was failing and replaced it. My car issues went away with the new HPFP.
Why am I posting this? 
  • Every once in a while I will see a post on the internet asking if the N55 fixed all the HPFP issues. I would say probably with the newer BMWs. Model years built right after N54 may still have the faulty HPFPs. 
  • If you are looking to buy a used early model N55, the HPFP has a warranty of 10 years/120,000 miles and yes it can prematurely fail on you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment