01 April 2018

Toyota 4Runner Rear Differential Fluid Change Tips

I performed the 30,000 mile rear differential service on my 5th Generation 4Runner and here are some tips.

  • Fill and drain plug size is 24mm. I highly suggest a shallow socket since the sway bar is in the way of the fill plug. 
    • Removing the spare tire allows the best access. I recommend this because the spare will be in the way for filling.
  • 36 ft/lbs torque for fill and drain plug. This is the first time I serviced the rear diff. and the plugs were extremely over torqued. I used a breaker bar to break the torque. 
  • 75w-90 Red line oil is what I chose. This oil can be used in the 4Runner's transfer case and front differential. I used a little over 3 quarts so I recommend buying the gallon package
  • Buy the gasket kit for transfer and differential service. It's easier than hunting gasket part numbers and quantity. 
  • It's going to get messy and differential fluid stinks. Wear old clothes that you can throwaway after the job and have plenty of cardboard or absorbent to soak up spilled oil. 
It's a simple job, just remember to remove the fill plug first and then the drain plug. The oil from the factory turned dark grey, almost black and there was a ton of gunk on the magnetic drain plug. I am really glad I changed this out and filled it with Red Line oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment