21 April 2016

MTC Magnetic Oil Drain Plug


Drain plug packaging from Amazon
I pulled the trigger and bought the MTC Magnetic Oil Drain Plug from Amazon after reading generally positive reviews.

The MTC plug is the first magnetic one I have purchased and will replace the stock plug on my E39 530i. I want to clear out as much metallic flakes floating around the oil and this plug will be a good indicator by checking how much metallic junk is attached at each oil change.

There are some critics on BMW forums that say the MTC drain plug is snake oil and don't bother buying because the oil filter will collect all the particles. They may be right, but for $5 it's not a huge loss if the evidence doesn't support MTC's claims.

I have not installed the plug because I am not yet due for an oil change. I will post updates and take pictures between oil changes to see if it really works. So far,  I tested the magnet strength by picking up various metallic objects and was able to grabbed large screw drivers with no difficulty. I eagerly wait my next oil change.

No comments:

Post a Comment