21 May 2016

BMW E39 5 Series Oil Fill Cap

I replaced the oil fill cap on my E39 530i because it was very difficult to twist and remove. The rubber seal had hardened into plastic and covered in sludge. The seal is bad so I did not use silicone grease on the seal to ease in removal.

The two plastic prongs over the metal tabs are missing on the original cap. I don't know if it came from the factory without the two prongs and were added to new caps or if the previous owner broke them.

I have been working on resolving the intermittent P0171 and P0174 codes as described here and have been reading various BMW forums for solutions. I came across a few posts that say a bad oil filler cap seal will cause these codes. It seems like a stretch but I needed to replace the cap anyways.

Picture of the old oil filler cap versus new.




Oil filler cap Part # 11127509328 
  • Compatible with E36, E46, E60, E53, E34, E66, E65, E70, and E85 BMW models.

No comments:

Post a Comment