03 December 2017

E39 Engine/Motor Mounts Helpful Info

There are many tutorials on how to replace engine mounts for E39s but here are some useful tips that they are missing or did not emphasize enough. This job is simple and can be done relatively quickly with my tips below.

Tips: 
  • My driver side mount required a 21 mm socket for the top cover
  • Universal sockets or adapter is required due to the angle of the nuts
  • Raise the car onto four jack stands or ramps. I made the mistake of only lifting the front and it was impossible to remove the mounts
  • Other tutorials say jack engine one or two inches. That is not enough to remove passenger side engine mount. You must remove engine fan using 32 mm wrench and holding tool to lift engine. Otherwise the fan will bump into fan shroud and crack
  • I highly recommend using two people when lowering engine. One person lowers car jack while other person ensures engine mount studs go through mounting holes
  • Penetrating oil on the nuts, especially if mounts have never been replaced before
  • Motor mounts are a good preventative maintenance item on E39s and E46s because if they fail the engine fan could hit the shroud and explode, destroying your coolant lines. 
  • Use a deep 16 mm socket for the nuts. 
Go with Lemforder engine mounts, they are OEM for BMW. Other brand engine mounts are much cheaper but will not last long. 

There is a big difference in ride quality and idle smoothness after changing my engine mounts. No more harsh idle or front swaying in corners.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or changing my mounts caused my airbag light to go on and steering wheel radio controls to stop working. When I turn off the car the radio keeps playing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment