30 December 2017

E90 Electric Fan Removal and Installation Tips

I've seen posts that say removing the E90 electric fan and fan shroud is super easy and others that took several hours.

For me, it was a huge hassle because of the rubber piece that is attached to the pipe after the intercooler. The electric fan would not come out no matter how hard I pulled. Removing the two torx bolts and the plastic clip above the rubber piece were super easy but I got stuck after that.

I circled the rubber piece in orange below. It is located on the driver side of the electric fan.


Here is how I finally got the plastic clip loose and fan free:

  • I got a very long flat head screwdriver
  • Placed screwdriver between rubber and plastic clip on intercooler pipe. 
  • Pushed and pried plastic clip off rubber piece. It may help to get one side of the clip loose first and then pry from the center. 
Installing the fan did not go smoothly as well. I kept getting snapped on the plastic part of the brace which I circled below. 


Some other things to be aware of:
  • Be careful to not snag or pinch wiring or fan controller underneath brace
  • Pull coolant hose towards engine as you are lowing electric fan
  • The plastic clip on the intercooler pipe was causing issues for me and bent the rubber piece. I used the screwdriver as a guide and straighten the rubber piece. 
  • It helps a lot to have another person on removal and installation since the clearance is so tight. 
Removing the cooling fan and shroud will make life a lot easier in removing and replacing the tensioner, pulleys, and belt. I strongly suggest using the Continental belt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment